Negotiation Status Update
The collective bargaining process is critical to maintaining effective working conditions for all employees. The San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCCD) provides information to keep all employees and the SMCCCD community informed on the process and status of collective bargaining with the District's three employee unions. Please note that negotiation meetings are open only to the bargaining representatives and not to the public or the District community.
San Mateo Community College Federation of Teachers 1493
Expired Contract: 2019 - 2022 Contract
Successor (2022 - 2025) Agreement: Negotiations continue
The parties commenced negotiations on May 5, 2022. From May 2022 to January 2023, the negotiation teams participated in 16 bargaining sessions.
On February 7, 2023, the parties agreed to participate in pre-impasse mediation on the articles without agreement.
On July 7, 2023, the District and AFT 1493 concluded pre-impasse mediation without agreement.
The following proposals were provided by the District to AFT 1493 after the conclusion of mediation in a continued effort to reach an agreement on the terms of a successor contract:
- District Proposal - Articles 8 and 9 - Pay and Allowances, Health and Welfare Benefits
- District Proposal - Article 12 - Transfers
- District Proposal - Article 20 - FSAs
- District Proposal - MOU on CCAP/Dual Enrollment
- District Proposal - MOU on Part-Time Faculty Health Insurance Pilot Program
Previously proposals were exchanged by the parties on the following articles:
- Article 1: Recognition
- Article 2: Organizational Rights
- Article 3: Payroll Deductions
- Article 6: Workload
- Article 7: Hours of Employment
- Article 8: Pay and Allowances
- Article 9: Health and Welfare Benefits
- Article 10: Retirement
- Article 11: Leaves of Absence
- Article 12: Transfers and Reassignment
- Article 13: Professional Development Program
- Article 14: Layoffs
- Article 17: Grievance Procedure
- Article 18: Summer Session Employment
- Article 19: Part-Time Employment
- Article 20: Faculty Service Areas
- Article 21: Miscellaneous Provisions
- Article NEW: Class Assignment
- Article XX: Academic Freedom
- Article XX: Reasonable Accommodation
Tentative Agreements Reached on the Following Articles
- Article 3: Payroll Deductions (TA signed August 3, 2022)
- Article 10: Retirement (TA signed June 14, 2022)
- Article 17: Grievance Procedure (TA signed June 6, 2022)
- Article 21: Miscellaneous Provisions (TA signed August 3, 2022)
- New Article: Class Assignment and Reassignment (TA signed October 24, 2023)
Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) were agreed to on the following subjects:
- Summer 2022 MOU - Effects of SMCCCD Changes to Indoor Face Covering Requirement Framework (June 14, 2022)
- Fall 2022 MOU - Effects of SMCCCD Changes to Indoor Face Covering Requirement Framework (September 20, 2022)
Future Negotiation Dates: To be determined
California School Employees Association and its Chapter 33
On April 25, 2023, the District, CSEA, and its Chapter 33 concluded negotiations on a successor contract. The Board of Trustees ratified the successor contract on May 24, 2023.
Contract: To be posted
American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 829
On June 10, 2022, the District and AFSCME Local 829 concluded negotiations on a successor contract. The Board of Trustees ratified the successor contract on August 24, 2022.
Contract: Current Collective Bargaining Agreement
Key Collective Bargaining Terms
Collective Bargaining: The process by which management and union representatives negotiate the employment conditions for a bargaining unit for a designated period of time. The parties have a mutual obligation to bargain in good faith in an effort to reach agreement with respect to wages, hours, and working conditions. This obligation does not compel either party to agree to a proposal or to make a concession. Commonly referred to as "negotiations" or "contract bargaining."
- Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA): The contract embodies the results of the negotiations between the employer and the
union and sets forth their agreements.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU/Side Letter): A formally signed document that serves as an addendum to the collective bargaining
agreement. An MOU usually addresses a significant issue that emerged during the term
of the agreement, and it represents the mutual understanding between the parties on
that issue. An MOU can also be referred to as a memorandum of agreement (MOA), a letter
of understanding (LOU), or a letter of agreement (LOA).
- Supplemental Agreement (SA): An agreement that establishes minor changes to an existing agreement.
- Sunshine Proposal: A document transmitted at the beginning of a negotiating process defining the intentions
of the negotiation. These documents allow the public to provide input on the negotiating
- Tentative Agreement (TA): The agreement reached through bargaining prior to its ratification or final approval by the negotiators' constituencies.