Scholarships through SMCCCD Study Abroad
SMCCCD students may apply for a limited number of study abroad scholarships. Recipients of Study Abroad Scholarships are expected to act as ambassadors for their study abroad program and for the SMCCCD Study Abroad Office.
- Priority is given to students who demonstrate high financial need.
- Students must be in good standing, with a minimum GPA of 2.25.
- For our semester abroad programs, students must have earned a minimum of 12 units of college credit prior to the study abroad program .
- Apply for one of our programs abroad/virtual global programs prior to completing a scholarship application .
Note: Community Travel Programs are not eligible for scholarships.
Questions? Contact us.
How to Apply
Your application will be considered based on the program to which you have applied. There are 4 essay questions in this application. Complete these 4 essays BEFORE starting the application form, in a separate word processing application, so you can paste the essays into the application. You CANNOT save your work and return to the form. Please limit each essay to 250 words.
- Purpose: What do you hope to accomplish with this study, transfer, or intern abroad experience?
- Achievement: How have you distinguished yourself academically?
- Opportunity/Need: How will this scholarship enable/make possible your study or intern abroad experience?
- Giving Back: How might you share your learning with the SMCCCD community while away and/or when you return from abroad?
SMCCCD Study Abroad Scholarship Types
Apply for this scholarship if you are participating in an SMCCCD study abroad program (not internship). This includes a short-term (faculty-led) summer study program or the NCSAC semester abroad program. Scholarship amounts vary but typically range between $200 - $500, and up to $1,000. These funds are made available by generous donations to the Study Abroad Scholarship Fund at the San Mateo County Community Colleges Foundation. Priority will be given to students who demonstrate high financial need and articulate clear goals for the program.
The Campus France Scholarship is available for SMCCCD students who transfer to the Rennes School of Business in France to complete their Bachelor’s degree. Scholarship amounts may vary depending on funding. This scholarship is made possible by the Embassy of France's Transatlantic Mobility Program, as well as the Skyline College President's Innovation Fund. For students transferring into the 2022-2023 academic year, complete the application above by Friday, May 6, 2022.
If you are participating in a SMCCCD Global Internship Program (virtual or in-person), the scholarship application is included in your Global Internship Program application. You are not required to submit the scholarship application above. However, you must apply by the priority Global Internship Application Deadline to be considered for the scholarship, and be sure to answer all questions on the application thoroughly. See the program page for priority deadlines.