Dr. Bessie M. Vaughns, taught in the Richmond Union High School District for three and a half years. Later, she moved to the San Mateo High School District where she taught English Composition and Literature for 34 years. After her retirement from teaching at the high school level, she began teaching at the community college level. She felt more encouraged to teach writing when many of her former students developed a love for writing and consequently, had their books professionally published!
Dr. Vaughns has been honored and acknowledged six times for excellence as a distinguished educator in Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, Editions Three, (1994) and Seven, (2002); Edition 8, (2003 and 2004) and twice in Edition 9, (2004-2005) and in the 10Th Edition, (2006). In additon, Dr. Vaughns has been selected for inclusion into 6th 2007/2008 Edition of the Montclair Who's Who, in Collegiate Faculty".
- (Religious) Church of God in Christ
- Dean of Women's Department (California Western Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction 1991-Present)
- District Missionary (1996 - 2003)
- State Missionary (2004 - Present)
- President of The Perfect "Peace Missionary Union" (2004 - Present)
- Assistant Administrator of the CWEJ of Churches of God in Christ 2009 - Present
- Member of the National Teachers Association
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People NAACP
- Skyline's ASTEP Community skyastep