Minimum Qualifications, Equivalency and FSA
The San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCCD) faculty selection procedures are established to provide the district with qualified faculty who are experts in their subject areas and who possesses a variety of other skills including:
- Teaching, advising and serving the needs of students;
- Contributing to the overall effectiveness of the colleges and the district;
- Demonstrating sensitivity to and ability to work with community college students who are from diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, and ethnic background;
- Demonstrating creativity and innovation;
- Demonstrating Leadership;
- Possessing effective oral and written communication skills and positive interpersonal behaviors.
In accordance with California Education Code (§87359), only a person who possesses the minimum qualifications for service or qualifications that are equivalent to the minimum qualifications, as established by the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges, may be hired to serve as a community college faculty member. The faculty, represented by the District Academic Senate Governing Council (DASGC), has a professional responsibility in the development and implementation of policies and procedures governing the hiring process, which is to ensure the quality of its faculty peers. The policies and procedures, as well as criteria and standards by which the Board of Trustees reaches its determinations regarding faculty hiring and qualifications, are developed by the DASGC in consultation with district administrators, the Collective Bargaining Agent, and approved by the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCCD) Board of Trustees.
The Minimum Qualifications and Faculty Service Area (FSA) process is intended neither to raise nor to lower standards from the minimum qualifications established for a position, nor is it intended to grant waivers in lieu of required qualifications.
Click to download:
SMCCD Procedure 3.15.1 Minimum Qualifications, Equivalency and FSA (Board Approved: 9/21/11)