- Jan 31 (Fri) Application Deadline -- NASA/SFSU/Cañada Summer Internships - "Creating Opportunities for Minorities in Engineering, Technology, and Science" (COMETS) program -- a collaboration between Cañada College's Engineering Department and San Francisco State University School of Engineering. If you have completed Math 251 and Physics 250 check it out -- Part-time and full-time, paid internships this summer! Apply online http://canadacollege.edu/comets/summerinternships.php
- Jan 27 (Mon) -Last Day to Add a Semester Length Course
- Jan 13 (Mon) - Spring 2014 semester begins
- Jan 6-11, 2014: Winter Math Jam - Apply online. http://www.canadacollege.edu/mathjam
- Jan 6-11, 2014: Winter Math Jam - Apply online. http://www.canadacollege.edu/stemcenter/collegestudents.php
- Dec 29 - 2014 Winter Math Jam Application Deadline - Apply online: http://www.canadacollege.edu/mathjam
- Dec 29 - 2014 Winter Physics Jam Application Deadline - Apply online: http://www.canadacollege.edu/stemcenter/collegestudents.php
- Dec 12-18: Final Exams - http://www.canadacollege.edu/academics/finalexams.php
- Dec 6 (Fri) 10-1pm: University Rep: CSU East Bay - Location: Transfer Center, 1st floor, building 9
- 2014 NASA CIPAIR Internship Applications now open. Apply online http://canadacollege.edu/comets/summerinternships.php
- Nov 26 (Tues) 2:30-3:30pm: Transfer Center: College Applications (UC, CSU and Private) - come work on your applications, expert help on-site. Room:9-106 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Nov 25 (Mon) 12-1pm: Transfer Center: College Applications (UC, CSU and Private) - come work on your applications, expert help on-site. Room:16-110 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Nov 21st - 12:30-1:30pm -- Stress Management Workshop for students - presented in CIETL (building 9, 1st floor below the STEM Center)
- Nov 20th 6-7:45pm Box Tech Talk - Omega: Google's Flexible, Scalable Scheduler for Massive Compute Clusters (El Camino Real in Los Altos) http://www.eventbrite.com/org/3346420106
- Nov 20 (Wed) 11:30am-12:30pm: Transfer Center: Personal Statement - come work on your personal statement, hands-on, expert help on-site. Room:16-110 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Nov 19 (Tues) – 3:10pm: Professional Speaker: Climate Change – Dr. Katherine Mach is a Project Scientist with the IPCC Working Group II Technical support Unit. Her past research has involved marine biomechanics and ecophysiology, ecological consequences of wave-induced breakage in seaweeds, and impacts of climate change for ocean ecosystems. Current research within the WGII TSU include treatment of uncertainties in climate change assessments and decision making. room 3-147 http://cietl.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/climate-change-as-a-challenge-in-managing-risks/
- Nov 19 (Tues) 12-1pm: Transfer Center: College Applications (UC, CSU and Private) - come work on your applications, expert help on-site. Room:9-106 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Nov 18 (Mon) 10-1pm: University Rep: CSU East Bay - Location: Transfer Center, 1st floor, building 9
- Nov 14 (Thurs) 2-3pm: Transfer Center: Personal Statement - come work on your personal statement, hands-on, expert help on-site. Room:9-106 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Nov 14 (Thurs) 1-2pm: Transfer Center: College Applications (UC, CSU and Private) - come work on your applications, expert help on-site. Room:9-106 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Nov 13-16, 2013: ABRCMS Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students - ABRCMS Student Travel Award provides students (full-time community college students of all races/ethnicities qualify) the- Nov 13-16 in Nashville, TN http://www.abrcms.org/TravelGrantGuidelines.html
- Nov 15th (Fri) 6am - 8pm - University Trip: CalPoly SLO Engineering Day -- visit labs, get perspectives from transfer students now at CalPoly, get info about admissions http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- Nov 13 (Wed) 5-6pm STEM Speaker Series: Alumni Panel -- hear from recent Cañada grads who are at 4-year universities or in their first jobs after college. Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Nov 12 (Tues) 1-2pm: Career Center: Interviewing Essentials - tips for successful interviews for jobs and summer internships. Location The Grove, room 5-223 http://canadacollege.edu/careercenter/
- Nov 11 (Mon) 1-2pm: Transfer Center: College Applications (UC, CSU and Private) - come work on your applications, expert help on-site. Room:9-106 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Nov 8-10 - Hackathon! LAUNCH in San Francisco Programmers with ideas! Get a team together and sign up for this hackathon in SF (not a STEM field trip but free to participate) http://hackathon.launch.co/
- Nov 8 (Fri) 10-2pm: University Rep: UC Berkeley - by appointment for TAP students Location: Transfer Center, 1st floor, building 9 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Nov 7 (Thurs) CISCO Veterans Hiring Event - sign up for a day at CISCO in San Jose. They’re looking for students who are veterans - polish your resume and get a summer internship! http://sanjose1.militaryhiringevents.com/
- Nov 6 (Wed) 5-6pm STEM Speaker Series -- Gabe Alatorre, software engineer. Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Nov 6 (Wed) 11:30-12:30pm: Transfer Center: Personal Statement - come work on your personal statement, hands-on, expert help on-site. Room:16-110 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Nov 5 (Tues) 2-3pm: Transfer Center: College Applications (UC, CSU and Private) - come work on your applications, expert help on-site. Room:9-106 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Nov 5 (Tues) 1-2pm: Career Center: Resume Writing - develop a resume or get tips for improving your resume. Location The Grove, room 5-223 http://canadacollege.edu/careercenter/
- Nov 1 - 2014 NASA CIPAIR Internship Applications now open. Apply online http://canadacollege.edu/comets/summerinternships.php
- Nov 1- University Trip: UC Davis STEM Day -- a day filled with info about STEM majors at UC Davis, financial aid, housing, research internships and more! Have lunch with Canada STEM students who are now at UC Davis majoring in biology and engineering. (submit a Trip Request) http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- Oct 30 (Wed) 5-6pm STEM Speaker Series -- Ole Kaven, US Geological Survey - Fracking technologies Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Oct 30 (Wed) 11am-noon: Transfer Center: College Applications (UC, CSU and Private) - come work on your applications, expert help on-site. Room:16-110 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Oct 25 - University Trip: UC Santa Cruz STEM Day -- spend the day learning about opportunities for STEM majors at UC Santa Cruz. Scholarships and research opportunities too. (submit a Trip Request by Oct 6th) http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- Oct 24 (Thurs) 2-3pm: Transfer Center: College Applications (UC, CSU and Private) - come work on your applications, expert help on-site. Room:9-106 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Oct 23 (Wed) 5-6pm STEM Speaker Series -- Susanne Prokscha - Biotechnology & Statistics Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Oct 23 (Wed) 10-2pm: University Rep: UC Berkeley - by appointment for TAP students Location: Transfer Center, 1st floor, building 9 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Oct 22 (Tues) 1-2pm: Career Center: Cover Letters - learn how to write a cover letter that you can use for job and summer internship applications. The Grove, room 5-223 http://canadacollege.edu/careercenter/
- Oct 22 (Tues) 2-5pm: University Rep: UC Santa Barbara - make an appointment during the Transfer Day fair or drop by. Location: Transfer Center, 1st floor, building 9
- Oct 22 - Transfer Day - Come meet lots of 4-year college representatives!
- Oct 18 (Fri) 7:30am - 5pm - University Trip: UC Berkeley Engineering Day -- visit labs, get perspectives from transfer students now at Cal Engineering, learn about research programs and tips for a strong application (submit a Trip Request by Oct 6th) http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- Oct 16 (Wed) 5-6pm STEM Speaker Series -- Gaby Baylon - from Community College to Stanford PhD -- come meet a student who started at San Diego City College, transferred to UCSD in Mechanical Engineering and is now pursuing a PhD at Stanford! She will also be at the STAR Poster Fair in the afternoon. Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Oct 16 (Wed) 2-5pm Science Through Art (STAR) Poster Fair -- come check out posters and talk to students about their STEM projects and research. Meet Cañada College and Stanford students who are in STEM fields. Location: STEM Center
- Oct 16 (Wed) 1-2pm: Transfer Center: College Applications (UC, CSU and Private Universities) - come work on your applications, expert help on-site. Room:9-106 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Oct 16 (Wed) 1-2pm - IDA College Savings Plan: TRIPLE your money to pay for education! For every $1 the you save, you earn $2. Save up to $2,000 of your own money, and earn up to $4,000 in matched funds to pay for your education. The best time to start an IDA account is in your final year at the community college so you’ll have funds into your 2nd year at the 4-year university. RSVP at EOPS (1st floor, building 9) Info session Location: CIETL Bldg 9, room 154
- Oct 11-13, 2013: Fri 2pm- Sunday 7pm - Conference: Pre-Med and Pre-Health Conference - AMSA ARC at UC Davis Info:http://www.ucdprehealth.org/ FREE Transportation, hotel and conference registration for 8 MESA students Depart Canada College Fri 2pm Return: Sunday Oct 13 at 6:00pm (submit a Trip Request by Sept 15th
- Oct 10 (Thurs) 2:15-3pm Scholarship Workshop: Applying for HSF Scholarships -- get the scoop from Anna Camacho, who used to work at HSF! You will learn how to prepare a strong scholarship application. Location: STEM Center
- Oct 9 (Wed) 5-6pm STEM Speaker Series -- Diana Albarran Chicas - LISTAS Engineer - Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Oct 8 (Tues) 1-2pm: Career Center: Resume Writing - develop a resume or get tips for improving your resume. Location The Grove, room 5-223 http://canadacollege.edu/careercenter/
- Oct 3-6, 2013: SACNAS National Conference - Strengthening the Nation through Diversity, Innovation, & Leadership in STEM- October 3-6 in San Antonio, Texas (you must have applied for a travel scholarship before April 3rd or during your summer internship in order for the STEM Center to pay for your registration) www.sacnas.org
- Oct 3-5, 2013: American Chemical Society Regional Conference - in Santa Clara, CA - get immersed in Chemistry! Learn about career options, the latest innovations and more. (submit a Trip Request by Sept 15th) http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- Oct 2 (Wed) 5-6pm STEM Speaker Series -- Ian Oglesby - Molecular Biology, Pharmacology, Patient Agent and Tech Support - Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Oct 2 (Wed) 11am-noon: Transfer Center: College Applications (UC, CSU and Private Universities) - come work on your applications, expert help on-site. Location:16-110 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Oct 1 (Tues) 1-2pm: Career Center: Cover Letters - learn how to write a cover letter that you can use for job and summer internship applications. The Grove, room 5-223 http://canadacollege.edu/careercenter/
- Sep 30 - DEADLINE! - UC Transfer Agreement Guarantees (TAG) for Fall 2014 admission
- Sept 30 (Mon) 1-2pm: Transfer Center: Transfer Agreement Guarantees (TAG) - come work on your TAGs, expert help on-site. Location:9-106 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Sept 29 (Sun) SHPE Community Service - Family Day @ Exploratorium - come help inspire future scientists and engineers. Bring your family. Come to the SHPE Club meetings to sign up.
- Sept 27 (Fri) 1-2:30pm Pizza & Webinar - Berkeley Engineering -- get the scoop from Cal insiders who will share info about how to prepare to transfer, opportunities for summer research, resources at Cal for incoming transfer students in engineering. Watch from home or come join the group for pizza! 9-257 http://tinyurl.com/transferwebinar
- Sept 25 (Wed) 5-6pm STEM Speaker Series -- Roozbeh Parsa, Cañada engineering to Stanford PhD -- Electrical Engineering . Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Sept 24 (Tues) 1-2pm: Career Center: Interviewing Essentials - tips for successful interviews for jobs and summer internships. Location The Grove, room 5-223 http://canadacollege.edu/careercenter/
- Sept 21 (Sat) GRADD Conference (Free!) at Berkeley - wondering about how to navigate the path from Canada College to Grad School? Come learn how (register by Sept 12th) - http://tinyurl.com/graddconference
- Sept 20 (Fri) 1-2pm - Scholarship Info Session - Jack Kent Cooke Foundation & Other Top Scholarships - do you have a 3.5 GPA or higher? Transferring to a 4-year university in fall 2014? Find out how you can get nominated for this $30,000 scholarship and learn about other scholarships for transfer students. http://www.jkcf.org/scholarships/undergraduate-transfer-scholarships/
- Sept 19 (Thurs) 6-9pm: ACS Dinner Meeting: Gene Patenting - Jakob S. Sherkow is a fellow at the of the Stanford Law School's Center for Law and the Biosciences (CLB). His current research focuses on the intersection of patent law, biotechnology, and agency regulation. FREE dinner and carpools will be organized http://www.scvacs.org/Local_Folder/din_mtg.html
- Sept 19 (Tues) 10-1pm: University Rep: CSU East Bay - Location: Transfer Center, 1st floor, building 9
- Sept 18 (Wed) 3:30-4:30pm: ASCC: Inter-Club Council Meeting - each club needs a representative at this council meeting. Location 5-354
- Sept 18 (Wed) 2-3 pm: STEM STUDENT PANEL - Summer Internships - Want to earn $4,000-$10,000 next summer? Come learn how to get paid to work in a STEM field this summer. Meet students who spent this summer in exciting internships that could be yours in the future!
- Sept 17 (Tues) 1-2pm: Career Center: Resume Writing - develop a resume or get tips for improving your resume. Location The Grove, room 5-223 http://canadacollege.edu/careercenter/
- Sept 12 (Thurs) 12:30-1:30pm: Transfer Center: Transfer Agreement Guarantees (TAG) - come work on your TAGs, expert help on-site. Location:9-106 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Sept 12 (Thurs) 11am-1:30pm and 5:30-7pm - ASCC Spirit Thursday and CLUB RUSH - come out and recruit club members for all the STEM-related student clubs!
- Sept 10 & 11 (Tues, Wed) - 11am-1:30pm - ASCC Entertainment and Food in the Quad - come out and help us identify new STEM majors -- free food, prizes and entertainment
- Sept 6 (Fri) CISCO MESA Recruiting Day - for students who got CISCO mentors last spring, this is a REQUIRED trip to CISCO to work with your mentor
- Sept 4 (Wed) 11:30-12:30pm: Transfer Center: Transfer Agreement Guarantees (TAG) - come work on your TAGs, expert help on-site. Location: 16-110 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Sept 4 (Wed) STEM Center Welcome Day -- drop by the STEM Center and sign up for fall activities, get a new STEM t-shirt and catch up with friends. Bring a new student with you.
- Sept 3 (Tues) 10-2pm: University Rep: UC Berkeley - by appointment for TAP students Location: Transfer Center, 1st floor, building 9 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Aug 30: Last Day to Add/Drop Classes
- Aug 29 (Thurs) 3:30-5pm: ASCC: Club Orientation/Bash - each club should have the president or a representative at this orientation to learn about this year’s ASCC (student government) policies and opportunities for student clubs. Location: 5-354
- Aug 28 (Wed) 12:30-1:15 p.m Convocation Ceremony a gathering of faculty, staff, students and community members to celebrate and prepare for the academic year. Location: Main Theater
- Aug 27 (Tues) 1-2pm: Transfer Center: Transfer Agreement Guarantees (TAG) - come work on your TAG applications, expert help on-site. Location: 16-110 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Aug 23-25, 2013: Geoscience Field Conference - Head out with Prof Mahoney for a weekend filled with activities to explore Geoscience and Environmental Science around Santa Rosa. From Prof. Mahoney -- Here’s an awesome geology field conference that will take place August 23-25, 2013. The conference is presented by the National Geoscience Teacher Association – Far Western Chapter. Here’s the link to the preliminary program: http://nagt-fws.org/announcement_fall_2013_meeting.pdf
- Aug 22 (Thurs) 1-2pm: Transfer Center: Transfer Agreement Guarantees (TAG) - come work on your TAG applications, expert help on-site. Location: 9-106 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Aug 21 (Wed) 10-2pm: University Rep: UC Berkeley - by appointment for TAP students Location: Transfer Center, 1st floor, building 9 http://canadacollege.edu/transfercenter/
- Aug 19 - First Day of Classes! Fall Semester Begins.
- August 12-16th, 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.: 2013 Summer Mini-Math Jam, 2nd floor, Bldg 9. http://canadacollege.edu/stemcenter/collegestudents.php
- August 9th: NASA CIPAIR Summer Research Internship Program Final Presentations and Closing Ceremenoy, 9:00 a.m. - 12 p.m., SCI 256, San Francisco State University. http://canadacollege.edu/comets/
- August 9th: Deadline for Registration - SACNAS National Conference Travel Scholarship Recipients - http://sacnas.org/events/national-conf
- June 17 - July 3: STEM Institute, M-F, 9 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Bldg 19-100, http://canadacollege.edu/stemcenter/highschoolstudents.php
- July 12th NASA CIPAIR Mid-Program Presentations, 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.: SFSU SCI-256.
- July 8-August 2: Physics Jam: M-Th, 9 a.m.-3:00 p.m., Bldg 9- 257C. http://canadacollege.edu/stemcenter/collegestudents.php
- July 7-July 19th: 2013 Summer Enginering Institute at SFSU campus http://canadacollege.edu/stemcenter/highschoolstudents.php.
- July 2nd: SACNAS National Conference Abstract Submission Deadline http://sacnas.org/events/national-conf
- June 17 - July 3: STEM Institute, M-F, 9 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Bldg 19-100, http://canadacollege.edu/stemcenter/highschoolstudents.php
- Monday, June 5: NASA CIPAIR Summer Research Internship Program Welcome Ceremony, 10:00 a.m. - 3 p.m., SCI 256, San Francisco State University. http://canadacollege.edu/comets/
- June 10-June 15, 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.: 2013 Summer Math Jam, 2nd floor, Bldg 9. http://canadacollege.edu/stemcenter/collegestudents.php
- Monday, June 3th, and Tuesday, June 4th,9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.: 2013 NASA CIPAIR Orientation at NASA Ames Research Center.
- May 31st (Fri) – noon-3pm Workshop: Preparing for a Successful Summer Internship For everyone who will be heading off to summer internships, we’re hosting lunch and a workshop to help everyone be prepared for success. Hear from students who have been in internships in past summers plus professionals who have hired and managed summer interns. They’ll share tips for success and give you some ideas about what to expect. The STEM Center.
- May 25 Commencement -- 10am in the Quad
- May 18–24 Final Examinations (Day & Evening Classes)
- May 18th & 19th - Volunteer Opportunity: FREE Dental Clinic in San Jose -- Volunteer (and/or get your teeth taken care of) -- great experience for students interested in careers in healthcare. Bilingual vols needed! http://www.cdafoundation.org/give/volunteer/cda-cares-free-dental-clinics
- May 16th 10am-2pm - University Rep: UC Berkeley -- in the Transfer Center (1st floor, bldg 9)
- May 15th 11am-2pm - University Rep: CSU East Bay -- in the Learning Center
- May 14th 10am-1pm - University Rep: Notre Dame de Namur U -- in the Learning Center
- RSVP by May 13th – event is Thurs, May 16th - 6:30-9pm ACS Dinner Meeting - Industry Speaker: Jim Mason, the Founder of ALL Power Labs. Jim is focused on creating tools for distributed power generation and open source comparative research in biomass thermal conversion. Jim will talk about the current activities at ALL Power Labs, aimed at developing gasification as a home source of energy. RSVP by May 13th FREE Dinner for students - http://www.scvacs.org/Local_Folder/din_mtg.html
- May 10th (Fri) – 4:30-6:30pm CELEBRATION! Student Achievement Awards Ceremony Come to our celebration of all students who are transferring to a 4-year university, students who have been tutors this year and students who will be receiving a Cañada College scholarship – RSVP by April 30th - http://canadatransfercenter.wufoo.com/forms/student-achievement-award-ceremony/
- April 26-28 - Conference: SHPE/Engineering Regional Leadership Development Conference - at Microsoft Towers in Sunnyvale, sponsored by San Francisco State Univ -- join hundreds of engineers from 4-year universities and other community college SHPE chapters. Volunteers needed to help with planning. (trip requests were due Mar 27th)
- Apr 25th 2-3pm - Workshop: I’ve Been Accepted to a 4-year University - NOW WHAT? -- come learn about everything you need to do so you are sure to successfully transfer and enroll at your new university in the fall. 9-106
- Apr 24th 11am-1:30pm - Career Fair -- meet local employers, get tips on improving your resume and practice with volunteers to do mock interviews, plus enjoy free food! -- in The Grove
- Apr 23rd 10am-1pm - University Rep: Notre Dame de Namur U -- in the Learning Center
- April 20th- University Trip: Cal Day at UC Berkeley find out about STEM programs at Cal. Community college student info sessions in engineering, public health and more. Submit your trip request online if you want to ride the free bus from Canada STEM Center (first 20 students have a spot on the bus) -- http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- Apr 18th 11am-nooner - University Rep/Workshop: Transfer Prep Program (UC Santa Cruz) -- come learn about tools and resources that can get you prepared now to be accepted at many UC campuses and find out what specific programs, scholarships and resources UC Santa Cruz has for transfer students plus snacks! 11am-noon at the STEM Center 9-257.
- April 18th - Conference: 3rd Annual Cañada Research Conference -- come check out the types of research projects your fellow STEM majors have done in past internships and projects. 2 – 5pm in 6-102
- Apr 17th 11am-1pm and 6-7pm - Majors Day -- bring your friends and get more info on the variety of majors you might pursue as a transfer student -- room 6-102
- Apr 15th 5pm @ room 16-108– ePortfolio Fundraiser – Robotics Club – come develop an ePortfolio and the Robotics Club will earn $25 for every student who completes an ePortfolio during this workshop. Bring a friend and help the Robotics Team get their robot to their competition in Atlanta this June! Plus you will get ahead for the fall when many STEM classes will require students to develop ePortfolios.
- Apr 15th 11am-2pm - University Rep: CSU East Bay -- in the Learning Center
- Apr 10th (Wed) 6-8pm - Workshop: Immigration Stories - Part 2 -- get involved in a writing workshop to help you tell your personal stories in a very powerful way - room TBD in building 6.
- April 9th (Tues) @ 5:30pm (Stanford) -- MOVIE Night - Extreme By Design is an inspiring documentary that follows a group of business, engineering and medical students as they design innovative products and services to solve problems of the world’s poor. RSVP: http://extreme.stanford.edu/screening
- Apr 8th (Mon) – Volunteer to Present your Research! the 3rd Annual Cañada College Student Research Conference, APRIL 18, 2:00 – 5:00 pm
Students are invited to present the results of research projects that you have completed in the past year. Presentations will be in the form of a 10 - 15 minute talk or by sharing your poster. You should RSVP (by Apr 8th) to Patty at email@example.com with the title of your work and name of your mentor.
- Apr 7th (Sunday) 3:30pm – Scholarship Fundraiser: A Conversation with Jose Antonio Vargas Carrington Hall, Sequoia High School
Jose Antonio Vargas has quickly become one of the nation's most sought-after speakers on immigration. He will talk about his personal experiences and his perspective on the larger issue of immigration reform. Event sponsored by Sequoia Adult School Scholars (SASS), a small non-profit foundation that provides scholarships for Sequoia Adult School graduates--primarily adult ESL students--who want to attend community college. http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/340084
- April 3rd (Wed) 6:30pm – MOVIE Premiere: She++ The Documentary (Stanford) -- A story by & for good girls gone geek. Bring yourselves, sisters, friends, etc. Join the community and the cast/crew of she++: The Documentary for the PREMIERE of our film. This documentary was directed by Stanford juniors Ayna Agarwal and Ellora Israni. Food by Oaxacan Kitchen. https://www.facebook.com/events/518727268169577
- April 3rd is deadline for a SACNAS Travel Award --http://sacnas.org/events/national-conf/travel-scholarships
Students who have done research should also submit your undergrad poster abstracts online by Apr 3rd http://sacnas.confex.com/sacnas/2013/grad/cfp.cgi
- Mar 29th - Lunch with Alumni Come have lunch with Cañada students who have successfully transferred. Hear about their experiences at 4-year universities and after graduation. RSVP to Melissa Ibarra - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mar 28th (Thurs) - 11am-5pm - Conference: Plug and Play EXP0 -- check out the work of high-tech startups! Plug and Play is an incubator for software startups and here’s your chance to see tech entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and computer scientists in action. http://plugandplaytechcenter.com/events/expo-spring-2013/
- Mar 27th (Wed) - 5-6pm - STEM Speaker Series: Cañada College STEM Alumni Panel -- Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Week of March 25th - Alumni Week! Clubs and activities will bring a lot of alumni back to campus to speak to students.
- Mar 22-24 - Conference: MESA Student Leadership Retreat - Santa Cruz, CA -- join 150 fellow MESA students from around the state in an exciting retreat in the Santa Cruz mountains. Workshops and projects related to STEM majors, info about resources and lots of fun. (submit a trip request by Feb 15th)
- Mar 20th (Wed) - 5-6pm - STEM Speaker Series: Saniya LeBlanc -- Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Mar 17th (Sunday) - Edu Hackathon at UC Berkeley- applications are due March 8th for this “College Ready Hackathon” at UC Berkeley https://sites.google.com/site/collegereadyhackathon/
- Mar 14th (Thurs) - Depart from STEM Center at 3:30pm - Women in Engineering Seminar Series: Julia Chen, Ph.D. Post-doc of Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University-- talks held in Building
- Mar 14th (Thurs) - Pi Day Spirit Thursday come check out a Tesla car, throw a pie at a math professor, see a solar oven in action, enter the pie eating contest and much more! join the fun, we need all STEM students to get involved - 11am-12:30pm in the Quad and 5-6pm in 9-257
- Mar 13th (Wed) - 5-6pm - STEM Speaker Series: Women in Science Panel -- Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Mar 13th (Wed) - 11:45am-4pm - UNIVERSITY TOUR: San Jose State -- Check out SJSU! Sign up ASAP at the info desk on the 1st floor of building 9
- Mar 8th - Industry Mentors: CISCO Job Shadow Day - five students will spend the day at CISCO (http://newsroom.cisco.com/overview) in San Jose and get connected with a CISCO employee who will be your mentor for a year. Computer Science, Electrical Engineers and Computer Engineering major. Application deadline has passed, hopefully this will be repeated in the fall.
- Mar 8th - Edu Hackathon Applications Due - grab some friends and apply to participate in a “College Ready Hackathon” at UC Berkeley on March 17th https://sites.google.com/site/collegereadyhackathon/
- Mar 7th (Thurs) - Depart from STEM Center at 3:30pm - Women in Engineering Seminar Series: Ruchi Sanghvi, Dropbox talks held in Building 530-room 127 (Stanford) http://www.stanford.edu/group/mewomen/seminars/SeminarW13.html
- Mar 6th (Wed) - 5-6pm - STEM Speaker Series: Andrea Foster US Geological Survey - Careers for STEM Majors at the USGS -- Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Mar 6th (Wed) 2pm – planning meeting for Pi Day Spirit Thursday reps from all the STEM Clubs are encouraged to come get involved in planning for Pi Day (3.14). We have lots of activities and want our clubs to be strongly represented in the quad. Math Club is taking the lead in planning with the STEM Center – planning meeting in the STEM Center (check Cathy’s door for room location)
- Mar 6th (Wed) - 11-noon - University Rep @ the STEM Center -- UC Berkeley -- come to an info session at 11am – snacks included, followed by the opportunity to meet the UC Berkeley rep, learn how to prepare to transfer to a UC campus -- at the STEM Center 9-257
- Feb 27th - Kate Garrett – Medical Devices and Start Ups -- Room 6-101
- Feb 20th - David Levinson, Engineering, Lockheed Martin -- Room 6-101
- Feb 14th (Thurs) - Depart from STEM Center at 3;30pm - Women in Engineering Seminar Series: Diane Greene, M.S. & Mendel Rosenblum, Ph.D. Google & Professor of Computer Science, Stanford talks held in Building 530-room 127 (Stanford) http://www.stanford.edu/group/mewomen/seminars/SeminarW13.html
- Feb 13th (Wed) - 5-6pm - STEM Speaker Series: Computer Scientists - Ignacio Zendejas & Claudia Galvan -- Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Feb 9th (Saturday all day) - Conference: SUMMA Pre-Med Conference - Stanford School of Medicine- Stanford University http://summa.stanford.edu/conference/ (free registration if you submitted a trip request by Dec 7th)
- Feb 6th (Wed) - 5-6pm - STEM Speaker Series: Judy Kjelstrom, Director, UC Davis Biotechnology Program -- Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Feb 5th (Tues) - 10am-2:30pm - STEM Center WELCOME DAY Bring a friend! Drop by and find out what’s new this semester. Donuts/coffee 10am, raffle & membership 11am, Pizza and STEM Clubs noon, raffle & membership 2:30pm at the STEM Center
- Feb 5th - Deadline: Cisco Mentoring Submit your info to Cathy if you want to go to Cisco on March 8th and have a Cisco mentor
- Feb 5th 8:30am-5pm - University Trip: UC Santa Cruz Join this transfer success tour and check out UC Santa Cruz. Sign up at the Welcome Center/Info Desk on 1st floor of Building 9.
- Feb 1st (Fri) - 1-2pm - NSF Scholars & Mentors Lunch If you have an NSF Scholarship meet up for lunch (required!) -- STEM Center 9-257
- Jan 31st (Thurs) - depart STEM at 3:30pm - Women in Engineering Seminar Series: Josephina Schembre-McCabe, Chevron Carpool from the STEM Center - meet at Building 530-room 127 (Stanford) http://www.stanford.edu/group/mewomen/seminars/SeminarW13.htm
- Jan 30th (Wed) - 5-6pm - STEM Speaker Series: Juan Orduna, Senior Scientist in Vivo Biology, SRI
Come to the kick off of our STEM Speaker Series. Meet Juan Orduna, a Cañada graduate, now using his degree in biology at SRI. Room 6-101 http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/speakerseries.php
- Jan 29th (Tues) 3-4pm - Workshop: Writing Your Personal Statement Get help to be ready to submit your scholarship and internship applications. Come by and get help getting started or editing your personal statement. STEM Center Room 257
- Jan 26th (Sat) - Conference: Society of Women Engineers Collegiate Summit @ Santa Clara U Women engineers! Sign up now! Great chance to meet other women engineers from industry and from nearby 4-year universities. http://clccleadershipsummit.blogspot.com/
- Jan 24th (Thurs) 10-2pm - University Rep: UC Berkeley TAP Program If you’re part of the UC Berkeley TAP program be sure to schedule a meeting via email with Lieldt.
- Jan 23rd (Wed) 1-2:30pm - Workshop: Writing Your Personal Statement Get help to be ready to submit your scholarship and internship applications. A strong personal statement is extremely important. Come by and get help getting started or editing your personal statement. STEM Center Room 257
- Jan 23rd (Wed) - Club Meeting: Math Club STEM Center 2pm for a first meeting.
- Jan 9-12 - Conference: National Math Conference Joint MAA/AMS Meetings - San Diego (Math Club)
- MINI MATH JAM - M-F, January 7-11, 2013
- MINI PHYSICS JAM - M-F, January 7-11, 2013
- Dec 15th (Sat) 12:30-5:30pm- National Conference: Undergrad Day at American Society of Cell Biology Special day with activities for college students interested in learning more about careers and research related to cell biology. Fantastic opportunity having this conference in San Francisco -- plus it is free! Sign up -- www.ascb.org/Meetings/Forms/Students/student.cfm
- Dec 14th (Fri) 10-noon- Drop-in Fridays: Help with Applications Come work on your internship, scholarship and transfer applications at the STEM Center on Fridays. Cathy and/or Chris will be on-hand to help you get started, edit essays and answer questions. Room 9-257
- Dec 12th (Wed) 4:30-6:30pm- Workshop: California Dream Act – AB540 Financial Aid Workshop Learn about how AB540 students will be eligible to receive California state financial aid starting in January. Come to this workshop to learn how AB540 students can submit an application for financial aid. More info at the Financial Aid office – workshop in room - 9-106
- Dec 8 -- Conference: CMC3 CA Mathematics Council of Community Colleges -- (Monterey Bay) - Math Club will present at the Poster Session (Math Club) Info: http://www.cmc3.org/conference/Monterey12/Monterey12.html
- Dec 7th (Fri) 10-noon- Drop-in Fridays: Help with Applications Come work on your internship, scholarship and transfer applications at the STEM Center on Fridays. Cathy and/or Chris will be on-hand to help you get started, edit essays and answer questions. Room 9-257
- Dec 6th (Thurs) 6:30-8m- Med Speaker : Dr. Sarah Ramirez - Primary Care & Public Health in San Joaquin Valley Before you begin cramming for finals, come out and get a little inspiration with guest lecturer Dr. Sarah Ramirez. Guided by her philosophy to cultivate equity, hope, and compassion through the practice of service, Dr. Ramirez is deeply committed to research in under-resourced communities of the San Joaquin Valley. An interdisciplinary public health researcher, Dr. Ramirez focuses on public health systems and services research, translational research, policy and system changes, and improving the performance of public health departments. She combines mixed-methods research to examine the historical, social, and cultural factors that produce health disparities, supplement objective environmental measurements with qualitatively meaningful definitions of the build environments and understand how community collaborations particularly those which include local health departments can improve equity. Seating is limited. To rsvp or learn more, please visit: http://sramirez.eventbrite.com
- Dec 5th (Wed) 2-4pm- Workshop: California Dream Act – AB540 Financial Aid Workshop Learn about how AB540 students will be eligible to receive California state financial aid starting in January. Come to this workshop to learn how AB540 students can submit an application for financial aid. More info at the Financial Aid office – workshop in room - 9-106
- Dec 5th (Wed) 11:30-12:30pm- Workshop: Am I on the Path to Transfer? Workshop on Financial Aid and scholarship availability at 4-year universities. How to research for scholarships. In the STEM Center - 9-257
Nov 30-31 - Conference: CMC California Mathematics Council - Pacific Grove (Math Club) Info: http://cmc-math.org/activities/north_conference.html
- Nov 30-31 - Conference: CMC California Mathematics Council - Pacific Grove (Math Club) Info: http://cmc-math.org/activities/north_conference.html
- Nov 27th (Tues) 3-4pm- Industry Talk: SLAC Community College Internships A presentation from SLAC scientists and engineers about a new Community College Internship Program at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, a Department of Stanford University. The internship is targeted to encourage community college students entering technical careers by providing technical training experience at DOE laboratories. Plus SNACKS! Room 9-257
- Nov 21st (Wed) 12:30-1:30pm- Transfer Workshop: UC/CSU Application Work on your applications while having expert help in the room to answer all your questions and help you keep going! 9-106
- Nov 16th (Fri)-10:45am-12:30pm – Outreach: Woodside High Green Academy -- Prof Medina needs up to four students volunteers to help high school students with minor probeware and mostly, to interact with them. They like to hear the real stories about college. Sign up by emailing email@example.com
- Nov 13th (Tues)- 4pm – Industry Speaker: Kate Garrett, Engineer - come learn about life as a professional engineer who works in the medical device industry. Great session for students interested medical fields and application of engineering to medicine. Check out Kate’s bio! http://biodesign.stanford.edu/bdn/people/12444.jsp - hosted by Women in Science & Engineering (WISE) club – room 9-251C
- Nov 12th (Monday - HOLIDAY NO CLASSES)- 11am-2:15pm – University Visit: Mills College Transfer Day - check out a local women’s college - Explore an all-female college by visiting Mills College in Oakland. Learn about admission, financial aid, and transfer credit. Have lunch with Mills students and ask them about their transfer experiences. Sample the curriculum by attending a class lecture. Take a student-led tour of our beautiful campus.
- Nov 10th (Saturday) 9am-2pm SF Bay Area HCOP Presents: Opportunities, Insights and Support for You to Advance Your Health Career Goals -- Learn about valuable internships, undergraduate and post-bac programs, conferences and support sponsored by SF Bay Area HCOP. The San Francisco Bay Area HCOP is a partnership between the Stanford School of Medicine, the UC Berkeley School of Public Health, San Francisco State University and Health Career Connection. Our goal is to facilitate the entry of socioeconomically challenged and underrepresented students into the various health professions so as to improve health care access and outcomes for all people and improve health equity. Sign up: http://online.sfsu.edu/brothman/#Symp
- Nov 8th (Thurs) 12:30-1:30pm- Workshop: Am I on the Path to Transfer? Workshop on how to use DegreeWorks, Assist.org and get advice on how to tay on-track. For ALL students who are working toward the goal of transferring to a 4-year university no matter how far along you are on the path. 9-106
- Nov 7-10 - Conference: ABRCMS - Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students - San Jose, CA ABRCMS is the largest, professional conference for biomedical and behavioral students, including mathematics. http://www.abrcms.org/page06a.html
- Nov 6th (Tues)- 5pm – Student Panel: Sharing Resources and Info from the MESA Industry Student Leadership Conference - come find out what fellow students learned at a recent conference for engineers and computer science majors. They met hiring managers from companies, a research program recruiter from UC Berkeley and got tips on how to improve your resume and prepare for interviews -- immediately following the WISE Club meeting - room 9-257
- Nov 3rd (Saturday) in SF Medical Career Fair - career fair for students interested in careers in medicine or biomedical research. Participants will obtain information on the AAMC's Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP), and other summer enrichment programs, summer undergraduate research programs, and additional resources that can help you prepare for careers in the health professions. Register now online https://www.aamc.org/students/minorities/medical-career-fair/
Submit a trip request if you want to go with the STEM Center group http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- Nov 2 (Friday) University Trip: UC Davis STEM Day -- depart 6:30am from Lot #1 (Library entrance) – return by 7pm - -- a day filled with info about STEM majors at UC Davis, financial aid, housing, research internships and more! Have lunch with Canada STEM students who are now at UC Davis majoring in biology and engineering. FREE Transportation and lunch for STEM students – sign up by submitting your trip request http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- Nov 1st- Thurs 3pm – Info Session: How to Apply Now for the Dept of Energy CCI Summer Internships - hosted by SHPE/Engineering Club– want to spend the summer working in a paid summer internship designed exclusively for community college STEM majors this summer? Work at SLAC (Stanford), Lawrence Berkeley Labs, Lawrence Livermore Labs, National Renewable Energy Lab and many more! -- room 9-257
- Oct 25- Nov 3 - 2nd annual Bay Area Science Festival returns with over 50 events all around the Bay Area from 10/25-11/3 Clubs, this is a great opportunity to pick an event or two and plan to go check out the activities. http://www.bayareascience.org/schedule/
- Oct 31st (Wed) 1-2:30pm -Workshop: Writing Your Personal Statement - working on scholarships, internships or transfer applications? Find out the ways to write a strong personal statement. -- room 9-257
- Oct 30th - Tues 4pm – Info Session: Transferring to a Women’s College (Melissa Ibarra, Mt. Holyoke grad in Biology) - hosted by Women in Science & Engineering (WISE) club – room 9-257
- Oct. 30th, 2-4 p.m., 16-108: Robotics club guest speaker, software engineer Bruce Rafnel, will give a talk about general and software engineering practices, followed by a question and answer session.
- Oct 25- Nov 3 - 2nd annual Bay Area Science Festival returns with over 50 events all around the Bay Area from 10/25-11/3 Clubs, this is a great opportunity to pick an event or two and plan to go check out the activities. http://www.bayareascience.org/schedule/
- October 26th (Friday) - University Trip: CalPoly Engineering Day - San Luis Obispo.
FREE Transportation for students majoring in engineering or computer science - submit your trip request http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- Transfer Day Oct.23, Tuesday, 10 am.-1:30pm in the Learning Center -- come meet dozens of reps from 4-year universities.
- Volunteer Outreach! Oct.21, Sunday, 10 am.-1pm -- Robotics Workshop for GEMS (Girls Engaged in Math and Science) Help inspire middle and high school girls through Robotics or just come learn how to make a robot. Women STEM majors are needed for a panel. Room 16-106. To help out, email Dr. E firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oct.20, Saturday - contact SHPE for time -- Industry Professionals - SHPE Bomba Blast Meet engineering professionals, learn about engineering careers, get tips for interviews and updating your resume. to sign up and carpool email - Soroush email@example.com
- Oct.20, Saturday - Stanford Med School - Dia de los Muertos Conference - The goal of the conference is to provide premedical students with information about medical school, public health school, and dental school, and to inspire them through a series of workshops, panels, and medical-student run gross anatomy demonstrations. Although the DDLM conference has a Latino theme, all students are welcome. It has developed into a unique opportunity to share the Latino culture and draw attention to health issues prevalent in the Latino and other underrepresented communities. STEM Center will refund your $15 registration fee if you attend. Register NOW! (it will sell out quickly) http://egroups.stanford.edu/p-369-usa-tu-voz.aspx
- October 19th & 20th - Conference: 9th Annual MESA Student Leadership Conference - Sacramento. MESA engineering and computer science majors will participate in professional skill building workshops, interact with technical professionals, engage in personalized mock interviews with corporate representatives.
FREE Transportation, hotel and conference registration for 6 MESA students majoring in engineering or computer science - submit your trip request by 9/17 http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- NSF Scholar / Mentor Lunch Fri, Oct 19th noon-1pm 9-257 - come enjoy lunch, get together with your mentor and meet all NSF Scholars. rsvp to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barrio Fiesta Thurs, Oct 18th 1-3pm Building 6-101 - find out about resources for students - STEM Center, Beating the Odds, TRiO Support Services and more FREE LUNCH rsvp to email@example.com
- ACS Dinner Meeting Oct 18th at 6:30pm - Want to go learn more about Nano and have a free dinner? email Prof Medina - firstname.lastname@example.org (by Oct 12th) ACS Dinner Meeting TOPIC: Tools of Nanotechnology Dr. Tobias (Tobi) Beetz, Associate Director of the Stanford Nano Shared Facilities will explain about nanotech. The properties of matter are fundamentally different at the nanoscale in ways that are both useful and interesting. During the past years we have seen rapid advances in the way materials are fabricated, studied and controlled at the nanoscale. Developed tools can visualize and manipulate individual atoms and structures about one hundred thousand times finer than the diameter of a human hair. The talk will cover the basic principles of working at the nanoscale as well as showcase some research examples of advancing the applications of nanotechnology in a wide range of fields from the physical sciences to applications in medicine and energy.
- Oct 13, 10am-3pm - Field Trip & Lab Tour: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab -
Get an up-close view of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab and some of the cool science being done here. For example, one of the Physical Biosciences scientists has created a CellScope, a microscope that uses a cell phone, and we plan to have this on display at the PBD booth. Learn about the lab and then you’ll be ready to apply for a paid summer internship to work there next summer. Register online bring a printout of your completed registration in order to enter the labs. http://www.lbl.gov/openhouse/index.html
- October 11-14th -- Conference: SACNAS National Conference “Science, Technology and Diversity for a Healthy World” in Seattle, WA WHO: STEM majors who received a SACNAS Travel Award to cover transportation and hotel Let Cathy know if you have received a Travel Award so the STEM Center can pay your registration cost.
- Oct 6, Saturday, 9am-5pm - Conference: Teaching for Social Justice - Acts of Courage & Resistance - Mission High School, SF -- are you considering teaching science or math? Join Prof Hoffman and the Math Club at Cañada (MC2) at this conference to learn more about teaching careers (Math Club) http://t4sj.org/events/conference/
- October 5-7, Fri night-Sunday evening - Conference: Pre-Med and Pre-Health Conference - AMSA ARC at UC Davis Come hear from deans of admission from some of the top medical schools across the country, medical students, and speakers at over 120 dynamic pre-med workshops. The speakers and events will provide you with in-depth information on issues ranging from preparing for medical school, admission requirements, financial aid, and MCAT preparation, to public policy and clinical and research opportunities. Over 100 medical schools and 25 public health schools are scheduled to attend this year. Moreover, representatives from over 300 programs will be present to directly answer questions during the Pre-Health Professions Fair. Info: http://www.amsaarcucd.org/
FREE Transportation, hotel and conference registration for 10 MESA students - submit your trip request by 9/17 http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- Volunteer Outreach! Sep. 30, Sunday - 10am-5pm SHPE “Engineering Day” at the SF Exploratorium. Get to know local Latino engineers - volunteer alongside SHPE professional members. Help kids with hands-on activities. Learn more about the legacy left behind by our Mayan and Zapotec Astronomers. And much more…. A FREE event for the whole family -- SHPE volunteers needed
- Sep 20, Thursday - 6-8pm -- STEM Careers: Be a Scientist and a Writer -- Free dinner hosted at Cañada - come meet members of the American Chemical Society (ACS) for this interesting talk. We also need student volunteers to help greet participants. to RSVP - email Prof Medina -- email@example.com
- Sep 17 - STEM Center Trip Request Deadline -- want to go to a conference or field trip this semester with STEM Center? Let us know you are interested by submitting a trip request - http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1013449/STEM-Center-Trip-Request
- Sep 17, Monday @ 4pm NSF Scholarship Deadline $3,000-$4,000 per year, apply if you are in Math 130 or above --www.canadacollege.edu/nsfscholar
- Volunteer Outreach! Sept.15, Saturday, 10 am.-1pm -- Robotics Workshop for GEMS (Girls Engaged in Math and Science) Help inspire middle and high school girls through Robotics or just come learn how to make a robot. Women STEM majors are needed for a panel. Room 16-106. To help out, email Dr. E firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thurs, Sep 13 @ 10am and/or 2:30pm – Workshop: Finish Your NSF Scholarship Application– get help editing your personal statement so it is ready to turn in -- 9-257
- Mon, Sep 10 @ 10am and/or 2:30pm – Workshop: Write a Winning NSF Scholarship Personal Statement – help to get you started or to edit your personal statement – 9-257
- Sep. 5, Wed. @ 3:30pm – Paid Summer Internships – STEM Student Panel -- find out from fellow Cañada students what it is like to spend the summer in a paid internship.
- Thurs, Sep. 6 @ 2:30pm – Info Session: NSF Scholarships and California Connects Ambassador Program – tips for a successful NSF Scholarship application, info about how to apply and the opportunity to earn a new laptop – room 9-257
- August 29th, Wednesday, 12:30 - 1:15 p.m:- Convocation Ceremony in the Main Theater. A reception with light refreshments will follow the formal ceremony.
- August 24th, Friday, 5:00 p.m.: Application Deadline: NASA CIPAIR Capstone Design Project at SFSU.
Participate in weekly meetings of Senior Capstone Design Project students at SFSU, and earn $800 per semester. Apply online: http://canadacollege.edu/comets/
- Industry Event - at Google with SHPE Professional Engineers
Date: Thursday, August 23, 2012
Time: 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Location: Google Headquarters
Seville Tech Talk, Bldg. 40, 2nd Floor
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043
- August 20th: Classes Begin
- August 13-17, 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.: Mini-Math Jam, Learning Center, 2nd Floor, Learning Center.
- Friday, August 10th, 9:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m.: NASA CIPAIR Summer Research Internship Program Final Presentations, San Francisco State University, SCI-256.
- Wednesday, August 8th, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.: NASA Ames Summer Internship Poster Symposion, Shenandoah Plaza http://new2nasa.wikispaces.com/2012+Summer+Program+Schedule
- Friday, August 3: Deadline for Mini-Math Jam Applications. Apply online: http://canadacollege.edu/mathjam/
- Monday, July 27th, 5:00 p.m.: Summer Mini-Math Jam Application deadline, http://canadacollege.edu/mathjam/.
- Wednesday, July 25th: NASA CIPAIR Summer Research Internship Program Mid-Program Presentations, 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., SCI 146, San Francisco State University. http://canadacollege.edu/comets/
- Monday, July 9-Thursday, August 3: Physics Jam, 9 a.m.-3:00 p.m., Bldg 22-257C, http://www.canadacollege.edu/calstep/physics-jam.php
- July 8-20: Summer Engineering Institute, San Francisco State University. http://canadacollege.edu/bridge/
- June 11 - July 3: STEM Institute, M-F, 9 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Bldg 19-100, http://www.canadacollege.edu/calstep/stem-bc.php
- Monday, June 6: NASA CIPAIR Summer Research Internship Program Welcome Ceremony, 10:00 a.m. - 3 p.m., SCI 256, San Francisco State University. http://canadacollege.edu/comets/
- June 4-June 14, 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.: 2012 Summer Math Jam, 2nd floor, Bldg 9. http://canadacollege.edu/mathjam/
- Monday, June 4th, and Tuesday, June 5th,9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.: 2012 NASA CIPAIR Orientation at NASA Ames Research Center. http://new2nasa.wikispaces.com/2012+Summer+Program+Schedule
- Friday, June 1st, 9:00 a.m.: NASA CIPAIR Site Visit and Orientation - CIPAIR National Program Manager, Dr. Lenell Allen will meet 2012 NASA CIPAIR interns and provide an overview of the program.
- Saturday, May 26th at 10 a.m. Graduation Day! Quad Area.
- More Summer Internships:
Stanford Research Labs (EFRI NSF research labs) – open to engineering and biology majors – two internships summer 2012 – interviews early May
SFSU Bridges to the Baccalaureate – open to MESA students (any major) interested in biomedical research – apply now, phone interviews as soon as your application is turned in – http://biology.sfsu.edu/faculty-pages/bridges_main
- Friday, May 11th @ 4:30pm - Bravo to all MESA students who are getting good news that they've won Cañada College scholarships! Now, RSVP to come to the awards elebration http://canadatransfercenter.wufoo.com/forms/student-achievement-award-ceremony/
- May 10th - Join WISE club member for Free Dinner - Women of Vision Gala Banquet - RSVP by the 30th.
This is a great opportunity to connect with women in the technical community, and hear the stories of incredible award winners. If you are a college student interested in attending on May 10, please contact Rachelle Siskin and request to be added to the guest list. email@example.com
More info anitaborg.org/initiatives/women-of-vision/
- May 1st- Application deadline: The Center for Energy Efficient Electronics Science (E3S) at the University of California, Berkeley will host a 1-week Summer Research Workshop from August 5-11, 2012 (free housing).
- April 26th - your SACNAS travel scholarship application! It is the only way to travel to a national conference in the fall of 2012 so get it done.
- Update or create your SACNAS profile
- Become a SACNAS Member (pay the $15 fee)
- Then apply for the travel scholarship
NOTE: Applicants will be notified about their status 5-6 weeks after the deadline. Once notified that you have won, you will contact me ASAP and I will pay your $300 registration fee.
- Mon 4/23 - 12:30-1:30pm: Need CA Connects hours? Show up and help students in Prof Valenzuela's READ 826 learn how to do internet research in the library. Library computer lab 3rd floor Bldg 9
- Saturday, April 21st, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. - UC Berkeley CAL Day
- Saturday, April 21st - UC Davis trip for Picnic Day
- Friday April 20th 3:30pm-7:00pm - Math Olympics
Math Lab-Learning Center
Food and Prizes
Free Raffle Ticket for Participation
Sign up at www.facebook.com/groups/mathclubcanada
Or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brought to you by the Math Club at Cañada (MC^2).
- Monday, April 16th, 2-5 p.m.- Third Annual Cañada College Honors Research Conference, Bldg 6-102.
- April 19th Thursday, 11 a.m.-1:00 p.m.– Spirit Day theme is MESA, Science, Engineering and Math
- Saturday, April 14th, Cal Poly Open House
- April 13th-15th - MESA Statewide Student Leadership Retreat - Happy Valley Conference Center, Santa Cruz, CA
- April 13th - UC Santa Cruz Engineering & Science Lab Tours
- Apr 11th - UC Berkeley Workshop at MESA Center – how to prepare to transfer to a UC and info about the Berkeley TAP program
- due 4/1 SHPE AHETEMS Scholarship for all MESA majors.
- due 4/1 Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Scholarship for women transferring in engineering and computer science majors.
- deadline April 1st - Berkeley – X-Enroll Transfer-To-Excellence (all MESA majors) take a FREE summer course at UC Berkeley, plus up to $300 transportation allowance, advising/support, seminars, guest speakers and more. For students who have taken one calculus and two science/engineering courses and have a 3.25 GPA. Application: www.e3s-center.org/TTEXENROLL2012.htm
- March 30th HACU National Internship Program (all MESA majors, many locations) http://www.hacu.net/hacu/HNIP.asp
- due 3/30 NSF Scholarship for $3,000-$4,000. Get your FAFSA done now and apply if you are in Math 120 or above. http://canadacollege.edu/nsfscholar/
- Thursday, March 29th – Open House for High School Students Hundreds of students from local high schools will be visiting campus on Thursday. Come to the MESA Center and introduce students to the MESA program, Math Lab and share your reasons for choosing your major. YOU are our best ambassadors!
o Women in MESA – 10-10:30am @ MESA (Geovanna & Xenia, maybe 2 more?)
o All MESA students – 10:45-11:15am @ MESA
o All MESA students – 11:30-noon @ MESA o Noon – 1pm in the QUAD -- CLUB FAIR, lunch, music – all clubs share info with high schoolers in the quad. Come represent your club(s).
- March 29th-April 1st, SHPE Regional Conference hosted at Sacramento State – http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~shpe/rldc/
- Thurs, March 29th, 2-2:30pm– INFO SESSION – Summer Biomedical Research get paid to do biomed research with groups of fellow community college students this summer in the “Bridges to the Baccalaureate” National Institutes of Health program hosted by SFSU! http://biology.sfsu.edu/faculty-pages/bridges_main The program director will be here in room 9-257 to meet with interested students (and faculty)
- Thurs, March 22, noon-12:30pm (online) – Careers for JAVA Programmers & Future of JAVA – a Statewide MESA Webinar – Hear directly from high-tech industry professionals about what companies are hiring students with Java skills and resources for students who are learning Java. Presented by Thyra Busch, Director of Oracle Education Foundation. Register on-line (FREE). https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/s/showReg?udc=cye55egckbkf
- Tues, March 20,10:30am-12:30pm or Fri 10:30-noon – Drop In – NSF Scholarship Application Help -- Get some quick tips, help on your essay and questions answered in order to have a very strong application for the NSF Scholarship (due in two weeks!)
- due 3/15 Chicana/Latina Foundation Scholarships–$1,500 and two leadership weekend sessions with local mentors and recipients open to all majors all immigration status - http://www.chicanalatina.org/scholarship/CLF_Scholarship_Application_2012.pdf
- New Deadline March 5th -- NASA/SFSU/Cañada Summer Internships - "Creating Opportunities for Minorities in Engineering, Technology, and Science" (COMETS) program – a collaboration between Cañada College's Engineering Department and San Francisco State University School of Engineering. If you have completed Math 251 and Physics 250 check it out -- Part-time and full-time, paid internships this summer! http://www.canadacollege.edu/comets/
- Wed, March 14th @ 4pm Industry Speaker from the Federal Drug Administration -- Elizabeth Furukawa from the FDA will have a small-group discussion about her career at the FDA and how she chose her career path. Bring a friend!
- Wed, March 14, @ Math Lab 1-2pm – “Quick Stop” Counseling with Carla Stoner-Brito Get some quick advice and help from a counselor who will be in the Math Lab
- due 3/1 American Chemical Society (ACS) Scholarships– up to $5000, open to majors in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering or related majors. apply online, www.acs.org/scholars
- NEW deadline March 1st - Berkeley – Transfer-To-Excellence (all MESA majors) summer internship & summer course at UC Berkeley. For students who have only one year left at Cañada (transferring in fall 2013), plus 3.25 GPA in math, science & engineering classes. Application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/X6FX93Q
- March 1st Stanford Health Careers Opportunity Program (HCOP)– spend 6 weeks at Stanford’s Med School in partnership with UC Berkeley School of Public Health and UCSF. Open to Canada students in their FINAL year at Canada. Apply on-line http://coe.stanford.edu/sshcop/
- Wednesday, February 29th - Field Trip to CSU East Bay
- Wed, Feb 29th @ 10am-5pm –Internship Speakers from Google, InternMatch, CBS Interactive and more!– Hiring managers from top companies will share info about paid summer internships including tips on resumes, phone interviews and more. Two ways to participate – all-day streaming @ CIETL Room 9-154 (directly below MESA on 1st floor – enter from the quad), or with your Google+ account add InternMatch’s Google+ page to your circles and view on your computer
- Thurs, Feb 16th Depart MESA 3:30pm – Engineering Speaker “Choose Your Own Adventure” “The Winding Road”Kristyn Rylander, Computer Science Chair, The Girls’ Middle School Kristyn attended University of Texas at Austin, receiving a B.S. in mechanical engineering. She then attended Stanford University to receive her M.S. in mechanical engineering and began a PhD in mechanical engineering researching in engineering education. While at Stanford, Kristyn volunteered in the engineering elective at GMS. She fell in love with the school and realized teaching at a middle school that engages girls in science, technology, and engineering is what she wanted to do. She now teaches eighth grade Computer Science and is the Computer Science Department Chair. Come to talks about life decisions and technical careers from an inspiring group of women. Meet at Stanford Thornton 110 at 4:10pm http://www.stanford.edu/group/mewomen/
- Cañada College Scholarship DEADLINE Feb 16th -- apply: https://starsonline.smccd.edu/Stars (open to ALL majors, all immigration status) for students both returning to and/or transferring from Cañada in the Fall. NSF Scholars who want to be considered for a $4,000 NSF Transfer award, you MUST apply to the Cañada College Scholarship – when you are done, email me to let me know you submitted it – email@example.com
- deadline Wed - Feb 15th - San Francisco International Airport - SFO Student Design Engineering Program: SFO has a number of great projects taking place such as: the Runway Safety Area program, the Airport’s electrical power distribution system, and other upcoming construction activities. Majors --Architecture, Electrical, Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Computer Science or Computer Engineering. http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/about/jobs/intern/
- due 2/15 Silicon Valley Community Foundation –multiple scholarships for local students -
- Tues 14th 11:30am -1:30pm - “I Heart Cañada” CLUB RUSH - Pick up your CLUB RUSH Passport from ASCC Officers, visit 6 clubs, then come to the ASCC table and get your free “I Heart Cañada” t-shirt. Music will be provided by: Mariachi Trio Estrellas de Oro and Piano by the Cañada Music department. Clubs will be selling last-minute Valentine’s Day gifts and food.
- RSVP by Feb 12th -- Dinner Meeting w/American Chemical Society – Oil and Alternative Energy – meeting is the evening of Feb 16th RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to attend and let her know what you want to eat - teriyaki steak or pasta primavera – yum! WISE club will organize carpools. Free!
- New due date - 2/8 - Silicon Valley Engineering Education Award $1,000 for future engineers (part-time and full-time students can apply) http://www.svec.org/scholarship-awards.html
- Sign up by Friday the 3rd! Pre-Med SUMMA Conference @ Stanford Med School (Sat. Feb 11th) - Stanford University Minority Medical Alliance (SUMMA) student organization hosts one of the largest pre-medical conferences on the west coast. The goal of the conference is to increase diversity in health professions to care for underserved communities. http://summa.stanford.edu/conference/ Conference is sold out, but MESA has 10 spots for MESA students to attend for free. Fill out a “Yes, I want to go to SUMMA” form posted outside Cathy’s office 9-251A– California Connects participants MUST complete their 12 hours working with 7 people in order to go to the SUMMA conference.
- DUE at NOON FRIDAY 2/3! - Karl S. Pister Leadership Scholarship – if you have applied to UC Santa Cruz for fall 2012 -- application available at the Transfer Center and due to the Transfer Center– contact Soraya Sohrabi (9-142) – Sohrabi@smccd.edu
- Friday, January 27th @ 10:30am-2:30pm – Drop-in, Hands-on Workshop: Help Applying for the Cañada College Scholarships – spend whatever time you’ve got free to come to the MESA Center and work on your Cañada Scholarship – I will help you get started and/or keep going on your application http://www.canadacollege.edu/financialaid/scholarship.shtml - @ MESA room 9-257
- Deadline FRIDAY the 27th -- NASA/SFSU/Cañada Summer Internships - "Creating Opportunities for Minorities in Engineering, Technology, and Science" (COMETS) program -- a collaboration between Cañada College's Engineering Department and San Francisco State University School of Engineering. If you have completed Math 251 and Physics 250 check it out -- Part-time and full-time, paid internships this summer! http://www.canadacollege.edu/comets/
- Deadline FRIDAY 27th! Travel – Infinite Possibilities Math Conference – Interested in going to a math conference in Baltimore, March 30-31st? Apply now for a travel grant. Also, submit a proposal to present a poster or paper – come ask me or math professors for ideas. Estimated cost for travel will be $550. http://ipcmath.org/conference.html#TravelSupport
- Fri 27th 10am-noon – Volunteer on-campus! Hands-On Chemistry for Woodside High Students – the Woodside Green Academy juniors are coming to Cañada for a visit. Prof Medina needs your help in the Chem Lab (building 18). To sign up, email email@example.comTues & Thurs @ 3pm with Norma - Need a Laptop? Be a MESA Community Connects Ambassador – attend an info session to sign up and learn how you can qualify to earn a free laptop in exchange for doing community outreach. Norma will also be checking out new laptops to students who have signed up to be a MESA Community Connects Ambassador on Mon, Tues or Thurs 1pm-4:30pm
- Thurs 26th @ 2-3:30pm – Workshop: Getting the Most out of your Tutoring Session – encore workshop offered by TRiO’s Che Rodriguez & TRiO Teatro Popular! @ Learning Center/TRiO
- Thurs 26th@ 3:30pm – Field Trip! Engineering Speaker “Choose Your Own Adventure” Trae Vassallo, Partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (venture capital). Check out her bio at: http://kpcb.com/partner/trae-vassallo talks about life decisions and technical careers from an inspiring group of women. Leave from MESA at 3:30pm or meet at Stanford Thornton 110 at 4:10pm
- Wed 25th @ 1-2:30pm – Workshop: Understanding Degree Works –offered by TRiO’s Melissa Alforja & Michell Foguet-Mendoza @ TRiO
- Tues 24th @ 2-3:30pm – Workshop: Managing your Math Class – encore workshop offered by TRiO’s Pat Sehl @ Learning Center/TRiO
- Sign up now! Pre-Med SUMMA Conference @ Stanford Med School (Sat. Feb 11th) - Stanford University Minority Medical Alliance (SUMMA) student organization hosts one of the largest pre-medical conferences on the west coast. The goal of the conference is to increase diversity in health professions to care for underserved communities. http://summa.stanford.edu/conference/ Conference is sold out, but MESA has 10 spots for MESA students to attend for free.
- 12/15 – Univision Es El Momento - https://www.scholarshipaid.net/app/univision/
- 12/15 – Hispanic Scholarship Fund – www.hsf.net
- Fri, Dec 2nd -- UC Santa Cruz Transfer Success Tour –– open to all Cañada College students (any major), free bus + lunch. sign up ASAP at Building 9, 1st floor Info Desk
- Sign up NOW! Winter Mini-Math Jam – free, one-week program designed for students who want to review Math in preparation for either retaking the Math Placement test, or for taking a Cañada College math course in the spring semester. Monday-Friday, January 9-13 -- Students can participate in either the Daytime Mini-Math Jam (9am-3pm), or the Evening Mini-Math Jam (6-9pm) Deadline FRIDAY - Dec 2nd The online application: http://canadacollege.edu/bridge/
- Friday, Dec. 2, 11am –ESL Math Celebration Pizza Party – hosted by BHMS “Bridging Hispanic Minds to Success” Club – come encourage ESL students who have taken the math placement test and are signing up for January Math Jam. Share info about how you chose your major, chat over lunch and help get students signed up for Math Jam. @ MESA Center room 9-257
- New deadline! During school + 3-day weekend! NASA – Community College Aerospace Scholars (NCAS) – commit to a one-semester relationship with NASA Johnson Space Center (JSC), including on-line projects followed by a 3 day experience during the spring semester held at a NASA center deadline Nov 30thhttp://aerospacescholars.jsc.nasa.gov/NCAS/
- Thursday, Nov. 17, 6-9pm – American Chemical Society Dinner Meeting join WISE Club members and Professor Medina at the ACS meeting this month.
- Thursday, Nov. 17, ASCC Host Thanksgiving Spirit Thursday! First 200 students wearing Cañada Gear or show Cañada Student ID get Free Thanksgiving meal. 12:30 and 6pm
- New deadline – MONDAY Nov 14th Winter Break! UC Davis Center for Biophotonics Winter Internship -- two-week paid Research Program open only to community college students! The objective is to provide you with a first hands-on research experience. (they prefer students who are applying to UC Davis) http://cbst.ucdavis.edu/education/community-college/internship-community-college/program-details
- Thurs, Nov. 10th, 1-2:30pm – NSF Scholar Lunch– faculty mentors and all NSF Scholars will meet over lunch to welcome the new NSF Scholars @ 9-257
- Wed, Nov. 9th, 3:30-5:30pm - UC Applications – Webinar for Transfer Students (online only) RSVP : https://cc.readytalk.com/r/1oozl3wsffu1
- Sat. Nov 5th, 9-2:30pm – WISE Volunteer Opportunity - Teach the Teachers Workshop “Water a Chemical Solution” at RAFT in Redwood City www.raft.net volunteers needed to help alongside American Chemical Society professionals. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fri, Nov. 4th, 10-noon – SHPE Study Lock Down focus, focus, focus. Commit to studying without distractions. @ MESA Center.
- Fri, Nov 4th Depart 6:30am from Lot #1-- UC Davis STEM Day Check out UC Davis Science, Engineering and Math programs, meet scientists from NSF BioPhotonics and CREATE-REU research internship programs, get info on housing, financial aid, student clubs and more.
- Wed, Nov. 2 & Thurs, Nov. 3– CollegeWeekLive (Online) visit over 300 universities online. All UCs are participating as are universities from all over the US. Check it out! www.collegeweeklive.com
- Wed, Nov. 2 & Thurs, Nov. 3, 1-5pm – Online webinar - CollegeWeekLive - Completing the UC Application get advice from the experts at UC Berkeley admissions!
- Wed, Nov. 2, 3-4pm – Transfer Help – Applying to UC, CSU & Private Universities– come work on your applications with expert advice from Soraya Sohrabi, Canada’s Transfer Counselor. @ 9-106.
- Oct 29th -- SACNAS Conference “Science and Innovation Through Diversity” SACNAS (Society Advancing Chicanos and Native Americans in Science) national conference is in San Jose, CA Sign-up online now to attend- SACNAS Community College Day https://sacnas.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=27.
- Oct 26-30th -- SHPE National Conference SHPE (Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers) national conference in Anaheim, CA. Bus will depart Wed & return late Sunday. Come to the SHPE meeting Thurs at 4pm or contact Omar email@example.com.
- Tues, Oct 25th is Transfer Day in Learning Center. Stop by to get info from lots of 4-year universities
- Tues, Oct. 25th, 4pm – Saniya Leblanc – Personal Statement Workshop – hosted by BHMS “Bridging Hispanic Minds to Success” – bring a friend, open to all! Get expert advice on how to write a strong personal statement – for a UC application, the HSF Scholarship or internships@ MESA Center room 9-257.
- Oct 22nd – Saturday - Pre-med Workshop @ Stanford School of Medicine LEAP program . You can’t claim that you’re a pre-med student if you don’t sign up for this incredible opportunity! http://coe.stanford.edu/pre-med/leadership.html
- Oct 20th – Thursday, 3:30pm -- Field Trip to Willow Garage – Robotics/SHPE Club Sponsors Check out a start-up company that makes interesting personal robots. In Menlo Park – an afternoon field trip! http://www.willowgarage.com/
- Wed 5-6pm – On-line “Why the Personal Statement is So Important for Transfer Applicants” -- UC Berkeley – get advice directly from UC Berkeley admissions – via your computer! Sign up to participate on-line http://students.berkeley.edu/admissions/general.asp?id=5545
- Wed all day – On-line UC Davis Preview – stop by this free online open house at CollegeWeekLive! Chat live with admission representatives, visit our campus "booths," and check out live video presentations covering our academic programs, financial aid and scholarships, housing, cultural opportunities, student life and more! Register online! http://admissions.ucdavis.edu/visit/calendar.cfm
- Oct 15th – Saturday – SHPE Bomba Blast SHPE professional engineers will share info about their careers and will help you get prepared for making the most of the SHPE conference. This is REQUIRED if you are going to the SHPE conference and is highly recommended for all other engineers. Sign up at the SHPE meeting (Thurs @ 4pm) or email Omar firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oct 14th -- CalPoly SLO Engineering Day Visit CalPoly San Luis Obispo’s Engineering program. Tour the campus, meet MESA students at CalPoly and see engineering labs and projects. Sign up list on the MESA bulletin board.
- Oct 12th, Wed, 3:30-5:30pm - UC Application Webinar (online) RSVP : https://cc.readytalk.com/r/fsloum2d8jkh
- Oct 12th, Wed, 5-6pm - How UC Berkeley Reviews Transfer Applications (online)http://students.berkeley.edu/admissions/general.asp?id=5545
- Oct 8th -- AMSA ARC Pre-Med Conference @ UC Davis Meet thousands of fellow community college students pursuing a pre-med path, medical school reps, summer programs for pre-med majors and incredible speakers from leading medical schools. Come to the Pre-Med Club meeting (Wed at 3pm) if you are interested in going.
- Deadline to register – Oct 6th -- SACNAS Conference “Science and Innovation Through Diversity” Sat, Oct 29th SACNAS (Society Advancing Chicanos and Native Americans in Science) national conference is in San Jose. All science, math majors and engineers not attending SHPE should go! Register now to attend https://sacnas.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=27
- Oct 5-8th -- MESA/PG&E Engineering Student Leadership Program -- The program will be combined with a MESA/PG&E program for MESA students.
- Transfer Tuesdays! The Transfer Center (1st floor building 9) has drop-in hours from 9:30am – noon to answer your questions about transferring and Student Educational Plans.